Dell steps up yet again. Dell has announced whopping changes in its XPS 15 model in CES 2018. The Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 is the very definition of being large yet efficient, power-packed and ultra-modern.
Features to look out for
- Besides the larger size, there is a distinguishably different feature in this new model: the keyboard. Using a novel manglev keyboard technique, the Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 keys entail shorter travel time during typing. This is an ergonomic change (whether for the good or the bad, we are yet to see), one that will take some time getting used to.
- The lid and the base are still silver anodized aluminum and the keyboard-rest is carbon fiber, though add-ons include aluminum hinges that can swivel 360 degrees.
- Despite the thinness, the device does not skimp on ports. It features three Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C 3.1 ports for charging, a micro-SD card reader and a headset jack.
- The InfinityEdge display with a contrast ratio of 1500:1 is a huge draw, as is the 720-pixel webcam equipped with an infrared lens.
- Now to the main thing: XPS 15 2-in-1 is really, remarkably thin. With a screen size of 15.6 inches (diagonally) housed in a width of 13.9 inches, it is as thin as 0.35 to 0.63 inches. It weighs all but roughly 4.5 pounds.
Should you go for it?
Barring the question mark over the feel of the keyboard, the Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 is lighter than a 13-inch MacBook Pro and sure packs in impressive features; the thinness allows for better power and cooling solutions and hence improved efficiency. The use of Gore fabric in the chassis enables better insulation. The device is also designed to be highly versatile, making it ideal for both daily functionalities as well as for playing games.